Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hey Mister DJ (warning: long post ahead)

One of my favorite websites is Jennsylvania, Jennifer Lancaster's incredibly funny blog. Many of you may be familiar with Jen's books, Bitter is the New Black; Bright Lights, Big Ass; and Such a Pretty Fat. If not, you should check them out. They are definitely worth a read (and at least one re-read): funny and sarcastic yet full of warmth and caring too. One of Jen's recent posts was about her friend tagging her for Thirty Random Songs on Your iPod. She made it through fourteen songs and the backstory about each one's existence on her iPod. She told her readers to consider ourselves tagged, so here's my list. I think most readers will lose any interest well before 30, so I've capped my list at half of that.

photo copyright Apple Computer

1. 'The Killing Moon' by Echo & the Bunnymen: This song brings me right back to my sophomore year in college, when a girl in my dorm loaned me their album "Songs to Learn & Sing". There's something about this song and 'Bring on the Dancing Horses' that I've always loved. They may just be 80s new wave-type songs, but to me they'll always be classics.

2. 'Ghost World' by Aimee Mann: I am a big fan of Aimee Mann's music. She has come a long way since 'Til Tuesday of 'Voices Carry' fame. Although that was a good song too. I think this song was either based on the "Ghost World" graphic novel or written for the movie based on the book. Not one of my favorite of her songs, but still pretty good.

3. 'Avalon' by Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music: Classic sensitive 80s music. Again not my favorite of theirs, a bit too sensitive for me. I prefer 'Street Life' and 'Love is the Drug'. But it's on my iPod, so it shows up on shuffle periodically.

4. 'Shiver' by Coldplay: Why can't I even remember this one? I usually don't look at song titles when listening to an album on my iPod. That could be the reason.

5. 'Big Me' by Foo Fighters: I can't hear this song without thinking of the Mentos commercial spoof of a video for it. It also totally reminds me of grad school. Ah, 90s music.

6. 'Your Long Journey' by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss: I have been a big fan of Krauss' music for a while now. She has an amazing voice and plays a mean fiddle. She's known mostly for her bluegrass work but has made music in many genres. This album, "Raising Sand", won a load of Grammys this year. It really deserved them. This is a traditional song, very sad, but lovely. (I just found out it was written by Doc Watson, a folk musician, and has been recorded by many artists.)

7. 'Stand and Deliver' by Adam & the Ants: Guilty pleasure. Nothing more to say.

8. 'Sacred' by Depeche Mode: I saw DM live in concert when this album came out. They were IT for me when I was in college. Total nostalgia trip, this album.

9. 'Cry Baby Cry' by the Beatles: One of many Beatles songs on my iPod. No need to explain why.

10. 'Thieves Like Us' by New Order: More 80s new wave. Anyone sensing a trend here?

11. 'I Hate Camera' by The Bird & The Bee: A good walking song from a really fun album.

12. 'Lithium' by Nirvana: Another song that reminds me of grad school. Nirvana really were the epitome of the grunge movement.

13. 'Miss Otis Regrets/Just One of Those Things' by Kirsty MacColl featuring the Pogues: From "Red Hot + Blue: A Tribute to Cole Porter". This album is fantastic! From the heyday of compilation albums. U2 doing 'Night and Day', Annie Lennox singing 'Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye', David Byrne doing 'Don't Fence Me In'. Fabulous!

14. 'Dog on Wheels' by Belle & Sebastian. Yes B&S isn't for some folks, but I do like a lot of their music, so I guess it is for me.

15. '19th Nervous Breakdown' by the Rolling Stones. I didn't consider myself much of a fan of the Stones but a few years ago I listened to "Forty Licks" and realized I really liked a lot of their older songs. 'Mother's Little Helper' is really good too, but I think my all-time favorite Stones' song has to be 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'. So true, and such a great song.

As I'm sure is the case with many of you, this is only a small sampling of my musical tastes. I'd love to know what comes up on your player when you hit "shuffle"; please leave me yours in the comments section!

No comments: