Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Knitting for Coraline

Through Grace Bonney's incredibly wonderful blog, design*sponge, I discovered a group of short videos on the Film Focus website about different aspects of their new film, "Coraline".

As you may know, this stop-motion animated film is based on the book of the same name by Neil Gaiman and directed by Henry Selick (who also wrote the screenplay). I had seen the commercial for "Coraline" numerous times on television. Although the film looked interesting, I didn't pay it much attention and figured I'd see it once it was on DVD. However these little videos have changed my mind.

The creativity and imagination that went into this film are unbelievable! The video for which I've posted a link here focuses on the artist who knit remarkably tiny sweaters for some of the characters in "Coraline". I was so proud of myself when I knit a ribbed cap and a basketweave obi belt with integral i-cords, but seeing this woman's work I feel like a preschooler! She made intarsia sweaters that fit over two fingers and said some of her needles are not much thicker than a human hair!






All "Coraline" video stills courtesy Focus Features

No comments: