Sunday, February 22, 2009

Catalinaware at SFO

Waiting in San Francisco airport (aka SFO) to head back to New York from a visit to my sister last spring I had some time to kill. It's a great airport with loads of shops, food stands, and even restaurants in which to spend your pre-flight time. They even have exhibitions! While I was there they had on display a show about Catalinaware, a type of art pottery produced on California's Santa Catalina Island from 1927 to 1937.

I ended up "killing" quite a bit of time looking through this comprehensive exhibition and taking loads of snaps, a selection of which are below. In my opinion it was a museum-quality show!

You can find out more about the history of Catalinaware on the Catalina Collectors Blog. They also have more info about and photos of the SFO exhibition.

"Backgammon" tiles. Four were used to create a backgammon board-topped table

more "Backgammon" tiles

assorted coffee and tea services

relief-decorated vase

Catalinaware lamp base with shade

hand-painted tile signs from Bird Park on the island

decorative Moorish plate

decorative Moorish plate

decorative Moorish plate

vases with gorgeously colored glazes

decorated Catalina tiles

decorated Catalina tiles


below: reproductions of Catalina Island promotional materials







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer
I love these photos from your last trip to visit your sister Leslie in CA. You have so many talents I'm glad to see that you're sharing them here in your blog. I'll be checking back often to see what new photos you have posted. Keep them coming!